Practicing is something that I’ve been really looking at these days. I’m finding it especially powerful when it’s coupled with choice.
I’m noticing lately when I work with my clients, that we talk a lot about practicing. It’s like flexing a new muscle and building a new way of seeing things, doing things and being things.
Doing things the way I’ve always done them is:
- not a stretch
- usually has a reaction associated with it
- is robotic
While there’s nothing wrong with doing it this way, there is another way to chose. And the thing about this choice is it could be more POWERFUL than what you’ve been doing.
Things I notice with practicing:
- there’s a freedom to try something else
- it’s out of the comfort zone (where we know where growth resides)
- it’s learning
- sometimes challenging
- more authenticity
- more vulnerability
- interesting to observe and notice what happens
- can be playful, fun and enjoyable
- less longstanding anger/stress
- did I mention freedom?
I could see that I could be practicing this for the rest of my life. Looking at different ways to be in life, outside of what I’ve chosen for the last 42 years.
Some examples of this:
- Homework has always been -> MEH. If I chose something different, like FUN maybe it will be FUN! Or I could chose curiosity for this. And get really curious about homework.
- Gardening has been a burden and a chore. No enjoyment. What’s stopping me from choosing and practicing something else more empowering? SFA. Why am I married to something being so challenging or something that I will hate. And maybe fun doesn’t land, but maybe exploring does. Who knows just keep practicing something different.
- My business -> hard. Ok, so let’s chose something different and see if there is more freedom in this. Let’s choose excitement. Let’s choose abundance. Let’s choose easy. And then practice that.
We all know the saying “that which you resist, persists.” So what are you resisting in your life, and what you could practice so as to look at doing it from a more powerful way?